Tuesday, September 29, 2009

♥ Paste: Part I

Once upon a time, we all used to create fabulous masterpieces in Kindergarten and Preschool using scissors, construction paper, macaroni, glitter and the all important Elmer's Paste. You remember paste? The oddly textured, minty chemical-smelling, thick wannabe glue that was an embarrassing sign you were not trustworthy enough as a 5 year old to use the real glue. I have been working at an elementary school for the past 4 years and before that, I was on the Preschool scene ( I am trying to relive my childhood, kind of a "let's try this again" experiment, but this time with feeling! Ok, so not really, but it's a wonderful idea, no?) and you know what? The person in charge of mandating adhesives in the "land of little ones" decided children will no longer use paste! Like the friggin' Wizard of Oz or Seinfeld's Soup Nazi: "No more paste for you! Now go!"

I cannot help but wonder: Why? WHEN and HOW did this happen? Now millions of children are being robbed of their rightful title as "the kid who eats paste." Their loyal onlookers have been deprived minutes upon minutes of art activity time entertainment!

What now? My curiosity is sufficiently peaked. Was this paste toxic? Full of hormone-disrupting BPA or Pthalates? Did some kid choke on a wad of paste, ruining it for everyone? I will research this devastating paste mystery and report back with my findings.

Until then: I bid you adieu!

No comments:

Post a Comment